It’s already the second Friday of 2015 and there is no better time than today to introduce a feature that, until last week, I’ve done at my author site for the last few years.
This is Five Links Friday, where I share the best blog posts or articles I read on the web over the week. I generally keep these related to writing in one way or another, but nothing is off-limits.
1. Let’s start with 20 Inspiring Quotes to Boost Your Confidence as a Writer from WriteToDone.com. If you’re ever looking for some quick inspirational memes to help keep you pushing your way to your daily word-count goal, give these a look. My personal favorite? “A professional writer is an amateur who didn’t quit” by Richard Bach.
2. From WriterHelpingWriters.net, here’s an informative article looking at Personality Traits: Building a Balanced Character. What’s really important about character building is that, in my opinion, characters are the single most important element of a story. A great plot, a creative setting, a noble moral…none of those things matter if the reader doesn’t care about the characters.
3. Not to say plot isn’t important, obviously. A bad plot kills a story dead. Here are 6 Plot Excuses No One Wants to Hear from Mythcreants.com. This article is looks at writing in film and television as well as print, but it’s all relevant.
4. Editing is hard. Just ask any writer. At least those of us who can’t afford an editor 🙂 Here is a post looking at Self-Editing for Fiction Writers: How to Be Your Own Critic by Jenny Bravo at BlotsAndPlots.com. The most important take-away? “Don’t be an author. Be a reader.” Well put.
5. I want to close out with the Encourage Yourself Challenge from Shelli Johnson’s blog. It’s basically a self-help challenge to set a daily goal of self-improvement. It’s great for January, and doesn’t even have to begin on January 1. (Her post is actually from April 2013.) So what are you waiting for? Go make yourself better.
And that is it. If you’re a new reader to WriteGoodBooks.com, or any of my other blogs, thanks for stopping by. Check out all five of these links and have a great weekend!