So the celebrate the awesomeness of the day, here is Five Links Friday: The Friday the 13th Edition, where all of the links are related to writing horror.
1. Let’s start with 3 Reasons You Should Write Ghost Stories by Joe Bunting at The Write Practice. I think this can apply not only to ghosts, but to horror in general.
2. Writing isn’t easy by itself, but writing horror can be a special kind of difficult. It’s hard to avoid the common clichés in the genre. Here is an article from Writer’s Digest with some advice on the topic: The Horror Genre: On Writing Horror and Avoiding Clichés.
3. Here is one author’s look at Stephen King and what it takes to write good horror, care of Wizzley.com: How to Write a Horror Story.
4. Do you want the basics? Here are 7 Tips to Writing Horror. Lot’s of good advice there.
5. In the end, what’s most important is to simply be scary. Here is an article by Joe Berkowitz looking at How to Tell Scary Stories, From the Co-Creator of “American Horror Story.”
Give yourself a challenge tonight: Dim the lights, put on some scary music and try writing a classic slasher story.
Have fun and have a great weekend.