Hey, it’s the final Friday of the year! It’s like negative forty over here and everyone in the house is sick, so bleh. But the weekend is here, and I have no doubt that we’ll be starting 2018 on an upward swing. Here are the best articles I read about writing this week.
1. Conflict is so important for a story. So let’s start with a post on it by Tamar Sloan: Jumping to Conclusions: Great Character Driven Conflict.
2. Considering the fact that I make up 2-3 kids’ stories every night before bed, I’m wondering if I should do a little more research into the children’s/picture book area. Here’s a good place to start: Writing Picture Books with Ann Whitford Paul at Michael Mahin’s blog.
3. Karen Hertzberg has a nice article at Grammarly on How to Improve Writing Skills in 15 Easy Steps.
4. I start sentences with “So” all the time here. Is that okay? Here’s a little look at the S-Word from Geoff Nunberg: So, What’s The Big Deal With Starting A Sentence With ‘So’?
5. Finally, with 2018 just around the corner, here’s a post by Janice Hardy on Stay Motivated With Writing Goals.
And that’s it for now. I’ll be back this weekend with a post on my 2017 accomplishments and 2018 goals, and then on January 1 for a special 2-year anniversary episode of the podcast. So check back soon and have a great weekend!